Last month I took a radical turn in my exercise routine. The last two years I’ve been a runner. I love the runner’s high, but I’m finding my body can no longer take the pounding. So last month I bought a SPIN BIKE with the cash back I received from participating in the United Methodist Church’s Wellness Program and what a ride it has been. I bought a Reebok Spinning bike on Craig’s List for $200.
A SPIN BIKE is not like any ordinary exercise bike. Spin Bikes have a weighted flywheel in the front (mine weighs 33 lb.) which REALLY simulates riding a real bike. You able to adjust the resistance with a resistance knob or lever that is able to simulate a wide variety of riding conditions and the bike is made of heavy duty steel which means they can take a beating.
Depending on your pace… a person can burn anywhere from 400-600 calories in a half hour period. I was pretty skeptical of that till I tried it. WOW… what a workout. I recommend either attending a class or buying a workout video that will help you with the fundamentals.
Today I finished a HARD twenty-minute workout that pushed me to the limits. When I got off the bike the room started spinning and I thought I was going to throw up. It was AWESOME! It reminded me back in my college days when I squatted too much in the weight room. I never thought you could get such a workout on a bike.
It’s been one month and I am still very pleased with the Spin Bike. Here are some of the benefits I’ve noticed in my neophyte status as a spin biker.
1. My joints and ligaments are not sore. (Goodbye Bengay and ibuprofen)
2. I can work out everyday. (The best I could do running was every other day)
3. Weather is never a problem.
4. It’s quiet. (I don’t have to wake up the whole house when I work out.)
5. I can watch ESPN or FOX News.
6. …or listen to a Podcast
7. …or just be quiet and meditative.
8. It’s a great escape from the stress of the world.
9. You really do get an INCREDIBLE workout in just a little time.
10. ENDORPHINES! (Nature’s antidepressant) I confess, I’m an endorphin junky. That’s one of the reasons I loved to run. I loved that feeling of exhilaration that you experience after a strenuous workout. I find that I can reach that stage a lot sooner on a spin bike.
I’m sure there are more benefits. These were the ones that are on the top of my list.
I’m hooked and hope to get my wife on board soon. I think it would be cute for us to have our own private spin class in the morning.
What Are The Benefits Of Stationary Spin Bikes (LiveStrong.com)